1. Contribute to national unity, the articulation of their regions, and linking to the international context, as a center of intellectual and cultural life open to all currents of thought and all social, ethnic, regional and local.
2. Create and critically assimilate knowledge in advanced fields of science, technology, technology, art and philosophy.
3. Train professionals and researchers on a scientific, ethical and humanistic, giving them a critical consciousness that enables them to act responsibly address the requerimentos and trends in the contemporary world, and creatively lead change processes.
4. Tend the existence of an enabling environment ara personal development of its members and their research groups and individual and collective processes of training, the quality of education and the advancement of science and the arts and its relationship to culture.
5. Formation of free and promote democratic values, tolerance and commitment to their civic duties and rights.
6. Study and enrich the cultural heritage, natural and environmental nation and contribute to their conservation.
7. Promote the development of the national academic community and encourage its international coordination.
8. Study and analyze problems and propose national, independent, relevant formulations and solutions, thus becoming the nation's critical consciousness.
9. Support and advice to the State in the scientific, technological, technical, cultural and artistic, academic and research autonomy.
10. Engage the benefits of its academic and research activities to the social sectors that make up the Colombian nation.
11. Contribute through cooperation with other universities and state institutions to the promotion and promoting access to quality higher education.
12. Encourage integration and particiación of academic staff and students for achieving the goals of higher education.
13. Participation in companies, corporations, joint ventures or other forms of organization in order to better fulfill the objectives and functions of the university.